Idiots with dog in back of pickup
m***@UNLISTED.com
2004-08-29 21:27:53 UTC
I live in a rural area, and there is a local "redneck" who drives
around with a large dog in the back of his open pickup truck box. The
dog is always jumping around to see what is going on. I have seen
this idiot with his dog numerous times, and have seen other people do
this too. Isn't there some law against this? There is nothing from
stopping that dog from jumping out in traffic and getting killed or
causing an accident (or both). Even though this is a rural area,
traffic can get heavy in town during certain parts of the day. The
other thing, if the driver had an accident, the dog could fly out.

I dont care how well mannered the dog may be, no animal is always on
it's best behavior 100% of the time, and all it takes is one dumb move
on the part of the dog, or the driver having to swerve, and goodbye
dog. Not to mention the accident that could occur with the vehicles
behind the truck.

I get upset everytime I see this. I fear for the dog, and consider it
abusive to the animal, and also dangerous to driving. I dont
understand why people need to cart their dog everywhere they go
anyhow. My dog stays home where he belongs when I go to town. If
these people must cart their dog around with them, at least put it in
a cage, or put a topper on the pickup.

Mark
Paul
2004-08-30 18:01:31 UTC
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
I live in a rural area, and there is a local "redneck" who drives
around with a large dog in the back of his open pickup truck box.
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
C. E. White
2004-08-30 18:02:23 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
I live in a rural area, and there is a local "redneck" who drives
around with a large dog in the back of his open pickup truck box.
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
Sigh, I grew up on a farm. We (me, my sisters, our dogs)
always rode around in the back of the pick-up, and my Father
never left the tailgte on his trucks. None of us children
ever fell out. Occasionally a dog would jump out of a moving
vechicle, but they usually only did it once (and I don't
mean they died in the first attempt). Go save the worlds and
leave rednecks alone. They be here after your gone no matter
what you think your contribution to the gene pool might be
worth.

Ed
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend
2004-08-31 03:02:09 UTC
Post by C. E. White
Post by Paul
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
I live in a rural area, and there is a local "redneck" who drives
around with a large dog in the back of his open pickup truck box.
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
Sigh, I grew up on a farm. We (me, my sisters, our dogs)
always rode around in the back of the pick-up, and my Father
never left the tailgte on his trucks. None of us children
ever fell out.
Well then your daddy was a sick perverted child abuser. No real father
would put their kids in the back of an open truck. Dogs are ok but
not kids.
C. E. White
2004-08-31 15:35:47 UTC
Post by Laura Bush murdered her boy friend
Well then your daddy was a sick perverted child abuser. No real father
would put their kids in the back of an open truck. Dogs are ok but
not kids.
My dad was is a great dad. Riding in th eback of a pick-up
was one of the great joys of youth.

Ed
w***@sendspam.com
And very illegal !!!!!
C. E. White
2004-09-01 12:07:14 UTC
Post by C. E. White
Post by Laura Bush murdered her boy friend
Well then your daddy was a sick perverted child abuser. No real father
would put their kids in the back of an open truck. Dogs are ok but
not kids.
My dad was is a great dad. Riding in th eback of a pick-up
was one of the great joys of youth.
Ed
And very illegal !!!!!
Not then and not now unless you are under 12 (in North
Carolina and many other states).

Ed
m***@UNLISTED.com
2004-08-31 06:38:59 UTC
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:01:31 -0400, "Paul"
Post by Paul
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
I live in a rural area, and there is a local "redneck" who drives
around with a large dog in the back of his open pickup truck box.
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
THAT is KNOW is illegal. In fact it's illegal for any human to ride
in an open pickup on public roads, and I believe in all states too.

As far as the dog, it's probably not illegal, but some states may have
laws about that too.....
Paul
2004-08-31 15:15:50 UTC
Post by Paul
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
THAT is KNOW is illegal. In fact it's illegal for any human to ride
in an open pickup on public roads, and I believe in all states too.
I've never owned an open bed (or any other kind) of truck, so I have
never concerned myself with the laws on this particular matter. I just
know that I have seen children and/or pets riding in the back of pickups
on many occaisions. Other than to be a little more alert for possible
objects flying out from the bed of said truck, it is not my concern.
C. E. White
2004-08-31 15:34:02 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
I live in a rural area, and there is a local "redneck" who drives
around with a large dog in the back of his open pickup truck box.
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
THAT is KNOW is illegal. In fact it's illegal for any human to ride
in an open pickup on public roads, and I believe in all states too.
Wrong. In NC it is illegal for children under 12 to ride in
the back of a pick-up unless supervised by an adult (see
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/kidlaw.htm ). Many states have
similar or even less restrictive rules - see
http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_facts/state_laws/cargo_laws.htm
.
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
As far as the dog, it's probably not illegal, but some states may have
laws about that too.....
Wrong, wrong , wrong.

You got any statistics on how many people are killed from
ridding in the back of pick-ups? According to the only
statistics I could find, total deaths are less than 200 per
year. That is 2 zero zero. Hardly near the top of the causes
of accidental death. 13,000 people die from falls each year.
Why not require the world be covered with foam to prevent
those fatalities? 4,000 people a year drown. Why not outlaw
all water sports (swimming, boating, fishing, etc.). 800
people a year are killed by accidental firearm discharges -
why not outlaw guns?

I am sick of wacky liberals trying to save everyone from
everything. Go away. You don't have to ride in the back of
trucks and you shouldn't tell me how to live my life.

Ed
fbloogyudsr
2004-08-31 15:50:42 UTC
Post by C. E. White
Post by m***@UNLISTED.com
Post by Paul
That's nothing. I see people around here who let their (or someone
else's) children ride in the open back of pickup trucks. A Darwin Award
waiting to happen? Sure. Do I let it bother me? absolutely not, so long
as my vehicle isn't damaged in the process. The gene pool could always
use a little chlorine.
THAT is KNOW is illegal. In fact it's illegal for any human to ride
in an open pickup on public roads, and I believe in all states too.
Wrong. In NC it is illegal for children under 12 to ride in
the back of a pick-up unless supervised by an adult (see
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/kidlaw.htm ). Many states have
similar or even less restrictive rules - see
http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_facts/state_laws/cargo_laws.htm
In WA state, it's legal as long as all seats in the cab that have seat
belts are filled.

Floyd
C. E. White
2004-08-31 16:08:05 UTC
Post by fbloogyudsr
In WA state, it's legal as long as all seats in the cab that have seat
belts are filled.
But this is not becasue there is a rule against riding in
the bed. It is becasue Wshington has a rule that says all
passengers ahve to be in seat belts until they are all used
up.

From http://www.wsp.wa.gov/newsfaqs/answers.htm

"Can my child or other person ride in the bed of my pickup?

"Yes, provided there are no seats available in the cab. If
adults are occupying the passenger seats, they are required
to ride in the back so children can ride in the cab.

"Washington does not have a law that prevents persons from
riding in pickup beds. However, the seat belt law does
require that all passenger positions with safety belts be
utilized. Example: If there are five seating positions in
the pickup and there are only two adults in the passenger
compartment but three other persons in the pickup bed, the
driver (depending on the age of the persons in the pickup
bed) could be issued a Notice of Infraction."

This seems like a convuluted way of expanding a law meant
for one situation to cover another that it never was meant
to address. I'd love to see five 6'3 250 lb guys consume the
5 seatbelts in my Fathers Ranger with the extended cab
(front ench with 3 belts, 2 jump seats in the rear).

Ed
w***@sendspam.com
2004-09-01 04:56:31 UTC
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:08:05 -0400, "C. E. White"
Post by C. E. White
"Yes, provided there are no seats available in the cab. If
adults are occupying the passenger seats, they are required
to ride in the back so children can ride in the cab.
So, that means the driver needs to go in the pickup box and one of the
children has to drive? Hmmmmmm, that seems pretty dangerous....
Garth Almgren
2004-09-01 18:14:20 UTC
Post by C. E. White
"Yes, provided there are no seats available in the cab. If
adults are occupying the passenger seats, they are required
to ride in the back so children can ride in the cab.
So, that means the driver needs to go in the pickup box and one of the
children has to drive? Hmmmmmm, that seems pretty dangerous....
So, the driver now sits in a passenger seat? Funny, I didn't get that
memo. :)

All that law says is that children get first shot at the *passenger*
seatbelts. Obviously, the driver still needs to be legally licensed.
--
~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
(***@v6stang.com for secure mail info) --H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)
w***@sendspam.com
2004-09-01 04:53:27 UTC
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:34:02 -0400, "C. E. White"
Post by C. E. White
I am sick of wacky liberals trying to save everyone from
everything. Go away. You don't have to ride in the back of
trucks and you shouldn't tell me how to live my life.
YOU sound like the kind of person that SHOULD ride in an open pickup.
Particularly one with a very rusty floor.
C. E. White
2004-09-01 12:14:16 UTC
Post by C. E. White
I am sick of wacky liberals trying to save everyone from
everything. Go away. You don't have to ride in the back of
trucks and you shouldn't tell me how to live my life.
YOU sound like the kind of person that SHOULD ride in an open pickup.
Particularly one with a very rusty floor.
And why is that? Becasue I am sick of wacko trying to save
me from myself? Becasue I am tired of idiotic rules designed
to protect everyone from everything to the point all you can
do is crouch on the floor of your bathroom in the dark while
listening to Dr. Phil tapes? I sick of people telling me not
to do stupid things - espically when the ones deciding what
is "stupid" are idiots.

Riding a horse is more dangerous that riding in the back of
a pick-up. More people are injured from falls in the shower
than are injured from riding in the back of pick-ups.
Lightening strikes kill more people that die in the backs of
pick-ups. For goodness sake, if you are going to try to save
the world from itself, at least start with a significant
risk!

Ed
w***@sendspam.com
2004-09-02 08:21:04 UTC
Post by C. E. White
[...]
Yes, if they are humans and adults, then they should have the right to
ride in the pickup and even jump out at 70MPH. Children do not
generally have any say in the matter. Parents tell them what to do,
and that's it. Dogs and other animals have even less to say, not to
mention are not as smart to know to stay in the box, nor do they have
hands to hold on to anything.

You talk about RIGHTS......
Well, I dont like having to be forced to wear a seatbelt, and have
gotten ticketed for not wearing them. That IS a violation of my
personal rights, because the seatbelt does not affect anyone except
myself. I dont see you bitching about seatbelts....

Yet, if a dog flies out of a pickup and I happen to be behind the
truck doing 60MPH, guess who is going to have an accident (besides the
dog)? That DOES affect other drivers. If they expect me to wear a
seatbelt, they damn well better do something about dogs riding in
pickup boxes and not caged.
Mala
2004-08-31 09:14:02 UTC
Check your local laws regarding this. IF the owner should legally be
restraining the dog adequately but isn't. Take a photo of them driving with
the dog in the car - make sure you get more than just one photo - that way
you can prove to the animal welfare authorities that they're doing the wrong
thing.

In Australia, a law was recently passed (could be anywhere from 6 months to
2 years ago for all I remember) where dogs had to be adequately restrained -
most were strongly encouraged by their vet etc, to use a halter that allowed
some movement but restricted the dog from doing anymore than standing up,
sitting down or lying down - in the one spot. Most Ute drivers with dogs
just tether them with rope that doesn't let them to do anymore than stick
their heads over the edges of the Ute - but even that's not good in case the
rope breaks. The harness has a metal hiking style attachment (I think it's
similar to a belay. - think that's the word I'm looking for) that connects
the harness and the metal back bars of the Ute near the window of the cab.
The attachment is made of metal and can withstand about seven adult-humans
worth of weight hanging from them - so I'm told - I wouldn't want to test
the theory though.

Alot of dog-owners who are into the accessories or being responsible etc,
use the harnesses even if they don't have utes - it means the dog is forced
to sit still and that lessens the chance of the dog going mental in the car
and reduces the amount of fur that ends up flying round the inside of the
car and lodging in the driver and passengers throats etc.
Mark
fbloogyudsr
2004-09-02 02:52:20 UTC
Mark
Well, Mark, if you thought dogs were bad, try this:
http://www.komo-am.com/stories/32843.htm

2 Teens Arrested For Hurtling Debris At Passing Cars

September 1, 2004

By Molly Shen

KING COUNTY - It could've been lethal.

That's how the Washington State Patrol describes the actions of two
teenagers on the highway Wednesday.

Troopers say the teens were throwing everything from a tire iron to a
basketball at other cars during the morning commute.

And they reached out to hit several cars with a 4-foot long stick.

Witnesses flooded 911, saying the boys were standing in the back of a pickup
truck, taking swings at passing cars.

The truck made it down about a 6-mile stretch of Highway 167 before a
trooper pulled them over. During that time they hit a total of eight cars.

The tire iron impaled a driver's door then fell onto the road. Amazingly,
the driver wasn't hurt.

"It's lethal. It could've been lethal," says Washington State Patrol trooper
Kelly Spangler. "Especially if that tire iron had gone through a windshield
or hit somebody. Fortunately nobody was hurt in this situation. It seems
they would've thrown anything that was in the back of that truck out."

And they did. Drivers were hit with wood debris, a basketball, even a chili
dog.

The stick did serious damage, knocking a woman's side mirror off and
cracking another driver's windshield.

The prank brings to mind other recent accidents, including the chunk of
metal road debris that smashed through Babe Watson's windshield, the
unsecured particle board that blinded Maria Federici, and most recently, the
long knife that flew off a truck and stuck in a woman's bumper.

What's different and so unbelievable about Wednesday's case -- it was no
accident.

"The difference of having someone intentionally try to damage or do harm to
you," says Spangler. "It doesn't make any sense."

The boys are 14 and 15-years old. They were arrested and booked into
juvenile hall to face malicious mischief charges. The driver of the truck
was released.
Malcolm
2004-09-02 20:01:30 UTC
Post by fbloogyudsr
unsecured particle board that blinded Maria Federici, and most recently, the
long knife that flew off a truck and stuck in a woman's bumper.
That's the other thing that galls me - trucks with a bunch of crap in the
open bed with the tailgate down. The only time I was pleased with this
situation was when I found a brand-new, still wrapped 100 ft. heavy duty
extension cord in the middle of the road. I passed it by the first time (for
safety reasons, and under the presumption that the owner may come back soon
looking for it). When I came by 1/2 hour later, it was still there, so I
stopped and threw it in the back seat of the car.

That was back around 1985 or so. I still use that extension cord to this day
when I run my weed-eater.
Malcolm
m***@freebay.com
2004-09-02 20:55:19 UTC
Post by fbloogyudsr
long knife that flew off a truck and stuck in a woman's bumper.
That's the other thing that galls me - trucks with a bunch of crap in the
open bed with the tailgate down. The only time I was pleased with this
situation was when I found a brand-new, still wrapped 100 ft. heavy duty
extension cord in the middle of the road. I passed it by the first time (for
safety reasons, and under the presumption that the owner may come back soon
looking for it). When I came by 1/2 hour later, it was still there, so I
stopped and threw it in the back seat of the car.
That was back around 1985 or so. I still use that extension cord to this day
when I run my weed-eater.
That's where that cord went. I have been driving around looking for
it for nearly 20 years.

I want it back!!!!
M Rhodes
2004-11-12 00:05:16 UTC
Some states do have laws about Dogs in the back of trucks. Check to see if
yours does, & report dead heads who let it happen. I saw a dog once fall out
of the back of his owners truck (Because of the bone head owners great
driving skills), & the owner got out & hit the dog for getting out ("HE FELL
OUT JACKASS"). Even after cronfronting this guy in the middle of the road
when he's hitting his dog, this guy talks me to like i'm in the wrong for
stopping him from beating the heck out of "His dog".

I have a guy whos Rottweiler needs a new home, & My question is, How do we
weed out the morons like these people. Maybe i should add a #10 question to
my questionaire. "Are you an idot". Probably not.. They'd lie about it
anyways.

Good question though Mark. I don't see people talk about this issue to
often. Maybe i'll come back to this newsgroup. Looks like some good
information. Unlike another newsgroup i recently posted to because i thought
it would be a good place to try & find a home for that Rot. The NG turns out
to be a place for insults. Maybe i should read some of the posts before I
post?

MR
Mark
Geoff Miller
2004-11-12 18:37:19 UTC
Post by M Rhodes
Some states do have laws about Dogs in the back of trucks.
They're known as "nanny states." They also typically have
laws agains passengers riding in the backs of pickup trucks,
one of the many (former) joys of childhood that's now
history thanks to these pathologically risk-averse Safety
Nazi killjoys.

Gee, I don't know how any of us ever managed to grow to adult-
hood without all these laws to protect us from ourselves.
Laws mandating bicycle helmets are another example. What the
hell has happened to Americans that we've become so pussified
as to believe that a crash helmet is necessary when one rides a
goddam bicycle? I think it's the premium we've come to place
on "sensitivity" that's at the root of this stuff. Sometimes
I think we need another major war to remind people what *real*
danger is.
Post by M Rhodes
Check to see if yours does, & report dead heads who let it
happen.
What a fricken busybody. Get a life, and kindly allow people
who actually have one to live it without your braying intrusion.
Post by M Rhodes
I saw a dog once fall out of the back of his owners truck
(Because of the bone head owners great driving skills), &
the owner got out & hit the dog for getting out ("HE FELL
OUT JACKASS").
So by your own admission, this wasn't an "unrestrained dog
riding in the back of a pickup" issue, but a "careless driving"
_cum_ "animal mistreatment" issue.
Post by M Rhodes
Even after cronfronting this guy in the middle of the road
when he's hitting his dog, this guy talks me to like i'm in
the wrong for stopping him from beating the heck out of "His
dog".
Well, it *was* "his dog," wasn't it?

You're lucky that's all you got. Belligerently confronting and
lipping off to strangers is a damned good way to end up with a
busted jaw and a colonful of manchowder.
Post by M Rhodes
Good question though Mark. I don't see people talk about this
issue to [sic] often.
I'd wager that's because most people have more important things
to think about. Clipping one's toenails would certainly qualify.
Post by M Rhodes
Maybe i'll come back to this newsgroup. Looks like some good
information. Unlike another newsgroup i recently posted to
because i thought it would be a good place to try & find a home
for that Rot. The NG turns out to be a place for insults. Maybe
i should read some of the posts before I post?
Gosh, ya think?

You come across like a real rocket scientist. I think I'll call
you Wernher von Braunstain.

Geoff
--
"Bush haters feel affronted by America's failure to defer to their
wisdom. [...] The election was worse than a defeat; it was a diss.
All was lost, including honor." -- The Editors Of National Review
DTJ
2004-11-12 23:09:19 UTC
Post by Geoff Miller
They're known as "nanny states." They also typically have
laws agains passengers riding in the backs of pickup trucks,
one of the many (former) joys of childhood that's now
history thanks to these pathologically risk-averse Safety
Nazi killjoys.
I don't have an issue with people doing it, but dogs jump out and hit
cars behind them. I have the right to protection from some asshole
redneck being a moron.
Post by Geoff Miller
Laws mandating bicycle helmets are another example. What the
BULLSHIT.

Now, parents deciding their kids have to wear them is fine. I MIGHT
even go for laws forcing parents to provide helmets to their kids.
Forcing adults to wear them is ridiculous, maybe even more so than
seat belt laws.
Scott en Aztlán
2004-11-13 04:15:20 UTC
Post by DTJ
Post by Geoff Miller
They're known as "nanny states." They also typically have
laws agains passengers riding in the backs of pickup trucks,
one of the many (former) joys of childhood that's now
history thanks to these pathologically risk-averse Safety
Nazi killjoys.
I don't have an issue with people doing it, but dogs jump out and hit
cars behind them.
Not if the dog is properly secured.
--
Sloth Kills!