What happens to relocated hedgehogs? The CON in CONservation, led by RSPB & SNH Killers, who chose to slaughter at any costs!
Geoff
2007-01-04 16:49:16 UTC
Definitely not what Scottish Natural Heritage claim!
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/Uist.htm
Great news. My money was well spent.

This CON cost the tax payer, and members of the public a fortune. No
one wanted the slaughter of those animals, but the RSPB and SNH
bulldozed it through without a care in the world. Not to mention the
fact, that it was never proven the hogs were to blame for the wader
declines in the first place. Apart from historic variations in wader
populations, there has been no change at all!

Uist Hedgehog Rescue

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/Uist.htm

Uist Hedgehog Rescue (UHR) is made up (alphabetically) of Advocates
for Animals, British Hedgehog Preservation Society, Hessilhead
Wildlife Rescue Trust and International Animal Rescue. Together we
have organised a rescue in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 when the Uist
Wader Project (UWP) was killing hedgehogs. UWP is made up
(alphabetically) of RSPB Scotland, the Scottish Executive, and
Scottish Natural Heritage. During the rescues we have saved over 750
hedgehogs from the clutches of the killers and relocated them safely
to the mainland where they have been released into the wild. We have
already had reports of relocated Uist hedgehogs being spotted near
their release sites with young the following year.

Totals updated 31st May 2006

2003 2004 2005 2006
TOTALS

UHR 150 221 242 143
756

(rescued)

UWP 66 263 181 148
658

(killed)

UWP continue to insist that it is kinder to kill the animals than to
relocate them. Hugh Warwick, a BHPS trustee, addressed this argument
in a study undertaken by BHPS and reported his findings in a BHPS
newsletter. He wrote:

“What happens to hedgehogs when they are rescued from the Uists? If we
are to believe Scottish Natural Heritage, the people responsible for
culling the hedgehogs in an attempt to protect ground-nesting birds,
they all die ‘slow and lingering deaths’.

We have always felt that this was untrue. Nothing in the wide
experience of BHPS members and affiliated scientists has suggested
that this might happen. But repetition by SNH has given the statement
some credibility.

So the BHPS has undertaken a study to look at the fate of the
translocated animals. Earlier this year 20 female hedgehogs, rescued
from the Uists, were collected from the Hessilhead Wildlife Rescue
Trust. After a thorough health check and radio-transmitters being
attached, they were released in Eglinton Country Park, North Ayrshire,
where they were monitored every day for a month. This was plenty of
time for the animals to show signs of suffering and starvation.

And the results? They behaved just like normal hedgehogs. While some
died, most survived and either maintained or put on weight, the best
measure of a successful rehabilitation. Of those that died, some
suffered accidents and some were eaten, but there was no evidence of a
systemic problem.

Amazingly, given that the release site was near busy roads, none of
these hedgehogs were run over, despite some pretty dangerous living.
One hog crossed the busy B-road at least eight times, and another
crossed ten lanes of traffic at a chaotic interchange one night, to
emerge in an industrial park, where she stayed for the remainder of
the study.

There was nothing in this study to support the statements repeated by
SNH as to the fate of Uist hedgehogs and we hope that it might go some
way to helping them reconsider their position on the cull.”

How can I help Uist Hedgehog Rescue?

Write and let the people responsible for the killing know your
objections

Contact SNH expressing your disgust at the unnecessary killing of
healthy hedgehogs on the Uists.

Ask that the hedgehogs be relocated to the mainland instead.

Andrew Thin, Board Chairman, SNH, 12 Hope Terrace, Edinburgh,
Scotland, UK, EH9 2AS;

Tel: 0131 446 2202; Fax: 0131 446 2278;
E-mail: ***@snh.gov.uk

Contact the Scottish Executive and RSPB Scotland expressing your
disgust at their support of the unnecessary

killing of healthy hedgehogs on the Uists. Ask that the hedgehogs be
relocated to the mainland instead.

Ross Finnie MSP, Minister for the Environment and Rural Development,
Scottish Executive, Rural Affairs Department, Pentland House, 47
Robb's Loan, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, EH14 1TY;

Tel: 0131 556 8400; Fax: 0131 244 4458;
E-mail: ***@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Mr Stuart Housden, Director, RSPB Scotland, Dunedin House, 25
Ravelston Terrace, Edinburgh, Scotland,

UK, EH4 3TP;

Tel: 0131 311 6500; Fax: 0131 311 6569;
E-mail: ***@rspb.org.uk.

Donate to Uist Hedgehog Rescue

Donate, every penny really does help.
If you are eligible, please tick the gift aid box, as this means we
can claim and extra 28p for every £1 you donate from the Inland
Revenue at no extra cost to you!

Sponsor BHPS member, Pavel Stroev, ran in the Edinburgh Marathon for
Uist Hedgehog Rescue in June 2006.

You can still support Pavel by sponsoring him.

There are three easy ways to sponsor Pavel:
On-line: at www.justgiving.com/hedgehogs

By post: Send a cheque or postal order, clearly marking the envelope

PAVEL STROEV SPONSORSHIP, to BHPS Hedgehog House, Dhustone,
Shropshire, SY8 3PL.

By telephone: simply call 01584 890 801 and use a credit or debit card
to donate,

again making sure we know your donation is to sponsor Pavel!

Become a member of BHPS.

The more members we have, the more pressure we can put on the groups
responsible for the killing.

Your support also means we can afford to continue with our rescue, and
keep you up to date with developments.

Annual single membership of the British Hedgehog Preservation Society
is just £7.50 so if you haven’t already joined,

why not join today?

Sign the on-line petition

Take a few minutes to sign the on-line petition against the cull that
has been created at
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/596636200

--

***************************
"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you

Check out Animal Aid’s brand new one-minute video.
This powerful film, containing shocking images,
just begs to be seen by as many people as possible.
Help raise awareness by sending it to your friends
and family. http://tinyurl.com/yjmxo2

The logic some people use for not attending church, is used to avoid washing

1.I was forced to as a child.
2.People who make soap are only after your money.
3.I wash on special occasions like Christmas and Easter.
4.People who wash are hypocrites-they think they are cleaner than everyone else.
5.There are so many different kinds of soap,I can't decide which one is best.
6.I used to wash, but it got boring so I stopped.
7.None of my friends wash.
8.The bathroom is never warm enough in the winter or cool enough in the summer.
9.I'll start washing when I get older and dirtier.
10.I can't spare the time .
Geoff
2007-01-04 17:51:09 UTC
http://animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_experiments/ALL/1474//

Leading neuroscientist speaks out against animal testing: Statement by
VERO (Voice for Ethical Research at Oxford)
An eminent neuroscientist and practising neurosurgeon has stepped into
the raging debate over animal experimentation to launch a blistering
attack on Oxford University and other animal-using research
institutions.

In a strongly worded opinion piece, Marius Maxwell MBBChir, DPhil, who
studied at Cambridge, Oxford and Harvard and now practises in the USA,
refutes the findings of the recent Weatherall Report on primate
vivisection as "profoundly flawed", and contrasts them with the far
more rigorous and comprehensive Perel study published in the British
Medical Journal (1). This analysis, which scrutinised a total of 228
animal based drug studies in six representative fields of research,
found their ability to predict the results of subsequent human trials
to be no better than the toss of a coin. Maxwell also quotes a "timely
but troubling" review of animal research in a recent issue of Nature
(2), and claims that drug trial disasters such as Vioxx (3) and
TGN1412 (4) are only the tip of the iceberg. "The general
public...deserves to be educated about the dangers of and protected
from adverse drug reactions stemming from weak and outdated animal
research protocols. If scientists as a group fail to serve society by
adequately and transparently policing the dangers and inconsistencies
of their own research, parliament will have to step in to insist upon
a rigorously objective assessment of all aspects of the drug safety
testing process".

Maxwell is particularly critical of "the minority of Oxford animal
researchers tirelessly promoting their claimed achievements before the
media....Many of my Oxford colleagues in world-class scientific
laboratories, and in the humanities, are privately aghast at the
ability of a small group of media-savvy vivisectionists to hold the
debate hostage and thereby besmirch the international reputation of
their University". Their emphatic and premature declaration that no
alternatives to non-human primate research can conceivably exist in
the foreseeable future may, he argues, be partly due to the fact that
"the techniques and language of frontier-breaking modelcular genetic
technology, for example, are largely unintelligble to those unschooled
in their use and therefore pose hurdles to inter-discplinary
scientific understanding".

With this bold refutation, Maxwell has thrown his weight squarely
behind groups such as Europeans For Medical Progress campaigning for
safer, humane alternatives to animal testing. He has also joined the
call by Voice for Ethical Research at Oxford (VERO) - a growing group
of dons and graduates including Ann Widdecombe and Tony Benn - for the
University's new animal lab site to be turned into a "world-class
medical imaging and research centre". Vivisectionists, he concludes,
are "swimming against the tide of international medical and ethical
opinion. I fear that history will judge their animal rights opponents
as less extreme than the very scientists who persist in non-human
primate research in the face of an increasing body of consistent and
compelling evidence that the resulting data has and will continue to
endanger countless human lives".

December 15, 2006 issue, www.bmj.com
December 13, 2006 issue, www.nature.com
Arthritis drug withdrawn in 2004 after killing up to 60,000 people.
Northwick Park clinical trial, March 2006

--

***************************

10.I can't spare the time .
Geoff
2007-01-04 20:48:35 UTC
Definitely not what Scottish Natural Heritage claim!
You either can't read or else you are deliberately distorting what SNH
say on their website.
http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/Uist.htm
"While some died, most survived and either maintained or put on weight,
the best measure of a successful rehabilitation".
"Previous studies show that, if hedgehogs are taken from Uist and
released on the mainland, at least one in four (and potentially much
more) would die within a few weeks".
In the absence of actual figures, "some died, most survived" agrees very
well with "at least one in four (and potentially much more)".
And when translocating hedgehogs, there isn't just a risk to the
translocated animals themselves, but also to the existing hedgehogs in
the area in which those animals are released.
There seems to be nothing on this aspect at all.
SNH
"Researchers found that, even when hedgehogs are moved only short
distances (i.e. within the same county) and into similar habitats, 20%
of the indigenous local hedgehog population died after four weeks, as
did 40% of the newly introduced hedgehog population."
So where are the equivalent results from Warwick's study?
And the length of this study was clearly inadequate.
"They were monitored every day for a month."
"Where studies have investigated the fate of hedgehogs beyond the first
few weeks following release, it is clear that high mortality rates
continue for several months."
Perhaps Mr Warwick should consider doing a longer, and more complete,
study.
A complete pilot scheme was recommended in a report commissioned by SNH -
see
http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/news/nw-uwpcr02.pdf
but SNH decided not to bother.
Perhaps a 'better' study has already been done, see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4763242.stm
The study, by Prof Harris & Co, or, more properly, Molony, S.E., Dowding,
C.V., Baker, P.J. et al. (2006), is "The effect of translocation and
temporary captivity on wildlife rehabilitation success: An experimental
study using European hedgehogs (Erinaceus europaeus)". Biological
Conservation, 130, 530-537.
"SUMMARY: Translocation is frequently used to return rehabilitated animals
to the wild, and is an important tool for the population management of
endangered species. Whilst experimental field manipulations are important in
determining optimal rehabilitation and translocation strategies, they are
rarely implemented in practice. An experimental approach was used to examine
the effects of translocation on post-release survival and behaviour, and the
impact of introductions on the recipient wild population, using the European
hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus), the most common mammal admitted to British
wildlife hospitals. The post-release survival and behaviour of five groups
were compared: three different translocation treatments, one wild population
at the release sites and one control wild population away from the release
sites. Individuals that were held in captivity prior to translocation had a
better survival rate on release than individuals that were translocated with
a minimum time spent in captivity. This suggests that temporary captivity
improves chances of survival by allowing the build up of fat reserves and
reducing manipulation stress suffered on release. No evidence was found for
intra-specific competition between introduced individuals and the recipient
wild hedgehog population.
(21-July-2006)"
This study is of course known to SNH and RSPB.
They had to try very hard to find any idiots to agree with their crazy
policies. The same can be seen when they advocated the slaughter of
the ruddy duck species throughout Europe. That's the CON in
conservation for you. Members of the RSPB should seriously question
where their money is going.

--

***************************

10.I can't spare the time .
Geoff
2007-01-04 21:00:42 UTC
Thank you for contacting PETA.
ActivistCash.com is the work of the deceitfully-named Center for
Consumer Freedom (CCF), a front group for Philip Morris, Outback
Steakhouse, KFC, cattle ranchers, and other animal exploiters who kill
millions of animals every year, not out of compassion, but out of
greed. These companies are worried about the strides that PETA is
making that are changing their industries and compelling them to take
animal welfare concerns seriously, so they hope to scare people away
from caring about animals by spending millions on ads, mailings and
Web sites like this. To learn more about CCF—which USA Today recently
opined should rename its Web site "FatforProfit.com"—please see the
following Web sites:

· http://www.ConsumerDeception.com
·
http://www.CitizensForEthics.org/activities/campaign.php?view=3
·
http://www.Prospect.org/web/page.ww?section=root&name=ViewWeb&articleId=8984
Despite its deceptive intent, we’re grateful for the opportunity that
this provides to discuss the animal overpopulation crisis. PETA is on
the front lines of the battle to turn back the tide of unwanted dogs
and cats. Our caseworkers tirelessly rescue homeless animals from
environmental dangers, as well as cruelty and neglect
(http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/about_cap.asp). They crawl through
sewers, poke through junkyards, climb trees, and dodge traffic in
order to reach animals in danger. During floods and storms, they are
out saving lives at all hours.

Some of the animals we take in are lost companions with loving
families who miss them; we are always happy to return such animals to
their homes. We have also managed to catch and return some highly
elusive animals other agencies had given up on. PETA does not operate
a shelter, but—even though we foster many healthy homeless animals
that we have rescued in homes (often our own) or take them to shelters
to await adoption—the reality is that thousands of adoptable animals
are euthanized every day in shelters across America due to the lack of
good homes.

Because most area residents take healthy, adoptable animals directly
to local shelters, the majority of the animals we receive are
extremely sick or injured beings for whom euthanasia is, without a
doubt, the most humane option; to learn more, please see our factsheet
at http://www.PETA.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=39. To learn about
one local instance, please see
http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/f-asiasstory.asp. On another occasion,
when a power-line transformer explosion burned a flock of starlings,
PETA was the only agency to come to the birds’ aid; if our trained
technicians had not been ready to end these starlings’ misery, the
injured birds would have suffered in agony for days before finally
succumbing to a painful death.

In addition, PETA provides free euthanasia services for local
residents who have very sick, critically injured, or geriatric
companions but can’t afford to take them to a veterinarian. One
family, lacking money for vet care and transportation, turned to us
for help for their cat, who had barely crawled back home after being
mauled by a pack of dogs. We were able to help by giving the cat a
peaceful end to her intense pain.

We also began offering our services to shelters in North Carolina in
2000, after PETA was contacted by a police officer who was distressed
by conditions in a county pound. North Carolina has the second-highest
kill rate per capita in the country—35 animals killed annually for
every 1,000 residents—and most do not die a humane death. When we step
in to properly euthanize animals (at no cost to the participating
shelters) as we do in this instance, our involvement prevents animals
from being shot to death with a .22 caliber firearm, gassed to death
in an rusty metal box, or injected with a paralytic that causes slow
suffocation without loss of consciousness. It prevents their suffering
for weeks on end from disease and illness, or worse. We know from
bitter experience that for homeless animals—even those in some
shelters—there is such a thing as a fate worse than death. To learn
more about the conditions that led to our involvement in North
Carolina and about some of the many improvements we’ve been able to
make, please visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/f-nc.asp.

We wish that there were other acceptable options available. We cannot
bring the majority of these animals back to Virginia for placement—the
same issues regarding adoptability of injured, sick, or old animals
exist everywhere, and “open-admission” shelters, which never turn
their backs on any animal (unlike so-called “no-kill” shelters, which
turn many animals away) are already unable to cope with the
overpopulation of animals. There simply are not enough homes for them.
Using Virginia shelters also means that there would be fewer homes for
animals already in Virginia adoption facilities.

Some might argue that the solution to this crisis of overpopulation of
so many unwanted animals is to open sanctuaries. But the sad reality
is that the math doesn’t add up. There is not enough money available
to us or anyone to build enough sanctuaries or organize enough
animal-adoption programs to keep up with the number of unwanted
animals, particularly those animals deemed “undesirable” because of
their infirmities, age, or behavior. Abandoning domesticated animals
to fend for themselves would be irresponsible, of course, but to keep
them in cages or pens for a lifetime is no more humane for homeless
dogs and cats than it is for animals in laboratories or circuses. To
learn more about "no-kill" sanctuaries, see
http://www.PETA.org/Living/AT-Fall2005/nokill.asp and
http://www.PETA.org/feat/acgas/index1.asp.

Putting all our resources into kenneling unwanted animals would also
do nothing to stop the flow of more and more unwanteds. The source of
the problem—trying to prevent the births of unwanted animals—is where
money and efforts need to go. PETA runs a mobile spay/neuter clinic
(http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/about_snip.asp) seven days a week,
focusing much of our work in disadvantaged neighborhoods, where we
offer free and low-cost surgeries and other services such as flea/tick
treatments and worming. In the last year, we have sterilized thousands
of dogs and cats—many free of charge and all others at well below our
own costs. Support for this program is much needed, as you can
imagine.

We hope you understand that it is heart-wrenching for those of us at
PETA and at shelters across the country who care deeply for animals to
have to hold animals in our arms and take their lives because there is
nowhere decent for them to go. Those who truly seek to make a
difference for animals understand that it is necessary to do the right
thing—even when it's unpleasant—rather than supporting false
"solutions" simply because they make us feel less uncomfortable. PETA
has always spoken openly about euthanasia on our Web site and in our
publications, and—although we understand that it is upsetting to think
about—euthanasia will continue to be necessary in this imperfect world
until people prevent dogs and cats from bringing new litters into the
world and as long as people hide their heads in the sand and leave the
dirty work to others.

We hope this has shed some light on our policies, and our work. To
learn more about what PETA is doing for companion animals and how you
can help, please see the following Web sites:

· Save homeless animals:
http://www.HelpingAnimals.com/ga_spay.asp
· More ways to help dogs and cats: http://www.HelpingAnimals.com
· Become an advocate for animals:
http://www.PETA.org/actioncenter

--

***************************

10.I can't spare the time .
Geoff
2007-01-04 21:27:07 UTC
Cruelty to Animals: Mechanized Madness

The green pastures and idyllic barnyard scenes of years past are now
distant memories. On today's factory farms, animals are crammed by the
thousands into filthy windowless sheds, wire cages, gestation crates,
and other confinement systems. These animals will never raise their
families, root in the soil, build nests, or do anything that is
natural to them. They won't even feel the sun on their backs or
breathe fresh air until the day they are loaded onto trucks bound for
slaughter.

Animals on today's factory farms have no legal protection from cruelty
that would be illegal if it were inflicted on dogs or cats: neglect,
mutilation, genetic manipulation, and drug regimens that cause chronic
pain and crippling, transport through all weather extremes, and
gruesome and violent slaughter. Yet farmed animals are no less
intelligent or capable of feeling pain than are the dogs and cats we
cherish as companions.

The factory farming system of modern agriculture strives to maximize
output while minimizing costs. Cows, calves, pigs, chickens, turkeys,
ducks, geese, and other animals are kept in small cages, in jam-packed
sheds, or on filthy feedlots, often with so little space that they
can't even turn around or lie down comfortably. They are deprived of
exercise so that all their bodies' energy goes toward producing flesh,
eggs, or milk for human consumption. The giant corporations that run
most factory farms have found that they can make more money by
cramming animals into tiny spaces, even though many of the animals get
sick and some die. Industry journal National Hog Farmer explains,
"Crowding Pigs Pays," and egg-industry expert Bernard Rollins writes
that "chickens are cheap; cages are expensive."

They are fed drugs to fatten them faster and to keep them alive in
conditions that would otherwise kill them, and they are genetically
altered to grow faster or to produce much more milk or eggs than they
would naturally. Many animals become crippled under their own weight
and die within inches of water and food.

While the suffering of all animals on factory farms is similar, each
type of farmed animal faces different types of cruelty.

Chickens killed for their flesh in the United States are bred and
drugged to grow so quickly that their hearts, lungs, and limbs often
can't keep up. Read more about chickens.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_chickens.asp

Hens used for eggs live six or seven to a battery cage the size of a
file drawer, thousands of which are stacked tier upon tier in huge,
filthy warehouses. Read more about laying hens.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_chickens_egg.asp

Cattle are castrated, their horns are ripped out of their heads, and
third-degree burns (branding) are inflicted on them, all without any
pain relief. Read more about cows raised for their flesh.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_cows_flesh.asp

Cows used for their milk are drugged and bred to produce unnatural
amounts of milk; they have their babies stolen from them shortly after
birth and sent to notoriously cruel veal farms so that humans can
drink the calves' milk. Read more about dairy cows.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_cows_dairy.asp

Mother pigs on factory farms are confined to crates so small that they
are unable to turn around or even lie down comfortably. Read more
about pigs.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_pigs.asp

Fish on aquafarms spend their entire lives in cramped, filthy
enclosures, and many suffer from parasitic infections, diseases, and
debilitating injuries. Conditions on some farms are so horrendous that
40 percent of the fish may die before farmers can kill and package
them for food. Read more about fish.
http://www.fishinghurts.com/FishFarms.asp

Turkeys' beaks and toes are burned off with a hot blade. Many suffer
heart failure or debilitating leg pain, often becoming crippled under
the weight of their genetically manipulated and drugged bodies. Read
more about turkeys.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_turkeys.asp

When they have finally grown large enough, animals raised for food are
crowded onto trucks and transported over many miles through all
weather extremes to the slaughterhouse. Those who survive this
nightmarish journey will have their throats slit, often while they are
still fully conscious. Many are still conscious when they are plunged
into the scalding water of the defeathering or hair-removal tanks or
while their bodies are being skinned or hacked apart.

Take a stand against cruelty to animals: By switching to a vegetarian
diet, you will save more than 100 animals a year.
--

***************************

10.I can't spare the time .
Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
10.I can't spare the time .
Jim Paterson
2007-01-07 18:29:13 UTC
Post by Geoff
Cruelty to Animals: Mechanized Madness
<snip>
I agree but what has all that got to do with UKRG?
Geoff
2007-01-07 18:41:22 UTC
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:29:13 GMT, "Jim Paterson"
Post by Jim Paterson
Post by Geoff
Cruelty to Animals: Mechanized Madness
<snip>
I agree but what has all that got to do with UKRG?
Usenet these days, is like a trip to the pub,restaurant,cafe etc.
Discussion can be many diverse, and wonderful subjects, often
changing. It's what socializing is all about. Just because a pub is
called Bull & Whistle, doesn't mean you are only allow to whistle!

Sit back and enjoy the ride, join in if you want, or ignore what you
don't want.

Those narrow minded, control freaks who just want to discuss one
subject, usually go to moderated groups, where they meet like minded,
weird people.

--

***************************

10.I can't spare the time .
Geoff
2007-01-06 09:42:04 UTC
Mass cull of grey squirrels planned.

http://www.bnp.org.uk/landandpeople/sqred.htm

A massive cull of grey squirrels is to take place across Britain in a
desperate bid to try to halt the decline in the numbers of the
endangered native red squirrel population.

The'Biodiversity minister' has reportedly announced that a, "humane
and targeted pest control" cull is needed in areas where red squirrels
are being squeezed out. The cull will be undertaken jointly between
DEFRA and the Forestry Commission.

The introduction of the non-native North American grey squirrel in the
19th century has resulted in the gradual eradication of the native red
from much of lowland Britain, with the result that Britain's only
native species of squirrel is now largely confined to Scotland,
Cumbria and Northumbria, the Isle of Wight and islands in Poole
Harbour.

In fact, such is the current 'state-of-play', that greys now outnumber
the indigenous red by an estimated factor of sixty-six to one! And
unless drastic action is taken now, the red could become extinct in
Britain by the end of the century.

The problem is that grey squirrels are larger and more aggressive than
the native red and also carry a deadly virus, know as Squirrelpox,
which affects reds more than greys.

The proposed cull will be enacted over a period of some three years
and has the stated objective of substantially reducing grey squirrel
numbers, rather than eliminating them entirely.

A further problem associated with the imported species is that it is
known to cause damage to trees, to the extend of ruining habitats for
other woodland species including birds

However, the European Squirrel Initiative,
http://www.europeansquirrelinitiative.org/
a body that campaigns for the protection of the red squirrel, is not
entirely happy with the cull and believes that more effective ways
need to be developed, such as the use of sterilising drugs, if grey
numbers are to be kept in check in future.

British National Party Land and People - Rural, Environment and Animal
Welfare

http://www.bnp.org.uk/landandpeople/index.htm

--

***************************

10.I can't spare the time .
Gwyddno
2007-01-12 00:41:10 UTC
Post by Geoff
Mass cull of grey squirrels planned.
http://www.bnp.org.uk/landandpeople/sqred.htm
A massive cull of grey squirrels is to take place across Britain in a
desperate bid to try to halt the decline in the numbers of the
endangered native red squirrel population.
Hooray. Finally, action to counter the threat.
Post by Geoff
The'Biodiversity minister' has reportedly announced that a, "humane
and targeted pest control" cull is needed in areas where red squirrels
are being squeezed out.
Good. 'Humane' and 'targeted' are good, this suggests that only grey
squirrels will be culled and that their end will be swift and painless.
This would automatically exclude many methods of control such as
poisoning, which are slow, painful and inefficient - basically inhumane
- and often indiscriminate, killing predators/scavengers higher up the
food chain, an unwanted outcome.

However, just because a government minister says a cull is nedeed
doesn't mean one will occur. Let's reserve judgment until we see
whether any action is taken. Also, will this really be 'across
Britain' or just in England? The two are not interchangeable.
Post by Geoff
Britain's only native species of squirrel is now largely confined to Scotland,
Cumbria and Northumbria, the Isle of Wight and islands in Poole
Harbour.
Apart from the Welsh populations, including at least one in the central
belt.
Post by Geoff
The problem is that grey squirrels are larger and more aggressive than
the native red and also carry a deadly virus, know as Squirrelpox,
which affects reds more than greys.
Aggression is not really such a problem as the main problem is
competition. Greys are able to eat many of the reds' food species,
such as acorns and hazel nuts, before they ripen, leaving nothing for
the reds to eat. Squirrelpox (a parapox-type virus from the same
family as smallpox) is a horrible way to die, causing bleeding,
lesions, disorientation and a lingering death.
Post by Geoff
The proposed cull will be enacted over a period of some three years
and has the stated objective of substantially reducing grey squirrel
numbers, rather than eliminating them entirely.
This is realistic. I do not believe the 'last grey squirrel' in
Britain & Ireland will ever be killed, it's far more likely that the
population will be reduced to the point where 'catastrophic social
collapse' occurs, whereby numbers will be insufficient to maintain
social groups and permit breeding.
Post by Geoff
A further problem associated with the imported species is that it is
known to cause damage to trees, to the extend of ruining habitats for
other woodland species including birds
This, I think, is also accurate. There is no doubt that they damage
trees. Damage directly attributabe to AGS (American/Alien Grey
Squirrel) is far greater and more significant than damage attributable
to reds for two reasons: i) size (see above) and ii) population levels.
Greys live in much smaller areas than reds for many reasons, and this
means that their impact on a given area is far greater than the reds'.
Post by Geoff
However, the European Squirrel Initiative, http://www.europeansquirrelinitiative.org/
a body that campaigns for the protection of the red squirrel, is not entirely happy with the
cull and believes that more effective ways need to be developed, such as the use of
sterilising drugs, if grey numbers are to be kept in check in future.
I can't speak for the ESI but I suspect a crossed wire here. I know
the ESI is hopeful that an effective method of immunocontraception (the
'sterilising drugs' referred to above) can be found which will not
affect other species. That said, any action must surely be better than
none.

I confess I never thought I would find myself agreeing with anything
the BNP had to say - in fact I would normall be arguing in favour of
banning them - but maybe on this they've got the right message.